Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Facts Show Facebook makes us Unhappy





No one joins Facebook to be sad and lonely. However, a new study from the University of Michigan psychologist Ethan Kross argues that that’s exactly how it makes us feel. Over two weeks, Kross and his colleagues sent text messages to 82 Ann Arbor residents five times per day. The researchers wanted to know a few things: how their subjects felt overall, how worried and lonely they were, how much they had used Facebook, and how often they had had direct interaction with others since the previous text message. Kross found that the more people used Facebook in the time between the two texts, the less happy they felt. The data, he argues, shows that Facebook was making them unhappy.
            It is my personal opinion that this specific social platform is very depressing. Any time I get on I find people sharing stories for people being shot, family members overdosing, fatal car crashes, and even unexpected death of toddlers. This is what our world has come to it is a sad and gloomy world. Facebook is the only social media site I see these heartbreaking events on. The other social platforms such as Snapchat and Twitter normally have funny and happy things that are happening in my friends lives. I honestly hate getting on Facebook anymore because it is either drama or someone posting depressing things. I would much rather be on a site that is showing happy life events rather than sad things.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this. It is rare that I get off Facebook or any social media without feeling down. Like today I looked at the trending page just to find out that there was a shootout in Cincinnati. This hits home for me because that is where I am from and I am disappointed to see it having struggles again. If its not something like that you get on Facebook just to see someone got engaged or hit a milestone in their relationship just to remember that you are forever single. Why do we subject ourselves to those horrible feelings every time we get on social media.

    ReplyDelete