Thursday, February 9, 2017

How to be Rich in Your Twenties


Most people in their twenties  have no money. Actually, most individuals in their thirties are pretty broke these days too. So here’s how to be rich in your twenties. It’s always been a goal of mine, to be financially stable. Probably because I’ve known way too many people who’ve struggled with money issues. Feeling like you’re drowning every day? Um, that can’t be fun, so that’s why debt and I are NOT friends. I’m extremely fortunate to not owe any money, not even student loans! Believe me, I know how lucky I am. But that didn’t entirely happen by accident. Instead, it’s taken a series of smart and sometimes really difficult decisions to get to where I’m at financially. So I figured it’d be nice share a few tips that I’ve used over the past few years to save money. Because if you strategize and prioritize correctly, you really can be rich in your twenties.

1.      Trick yourself into thinking you are poor

I lie to myself every day. I make a certain amount of money, but I pretend that I make a whole lot less. You know what happens when I pretend that I make a whole lot less? I spend a whole lot less, leaving a whole lot more in my bank account. So how do you trick yourself into thinking you’re poor? Automatically deduct a certain amount of money from your paychecks each month and send that money to a separate checking/savings account. Then, forget about it. That’s your emergency fund. It can also be your down payment on that house you have always wanted. But it’s not money that you count on every month, because you don’t end up spending it on dumb things.

2.      Start the “no lunch at work” diet

I’m not talking about starving yourself. You really should eat several times at work, but you shouldn’t buy lunch at work. Wake up five minutes early every day and pack your lunch or, have a 10-minute dance party before bed and make your breakfast and lunch. I get mad at my brother because he doesn’t do this and he wastes a lot of money. What happens when you eat a $12 burger for lunch every day? You spend $60 a week to gain 5 pounds.

3.      Have ugly nails

Best nail polish EVER!!
You don’t need a manicure or pedicure every week. One of these will easily cost you $40. You don’t need to spend $40 a week or even every two weeks on your nails. Go to Walmart  buy a bottle of nail polish, and do your nails yourself. I don’t have the best looking nails, but I have $40 more in my pocket every week, and that makes me happy.

 4. Say Goodbye to Impulse Shopping

I try really hard to avoid impulse shopping. I do a really good job, but Amazon is so tempting! In 2.5 seconds, I can order pretty much anything that I want and have it at my house in two days. That’s kind of scary. Before buying anything, I like to wait a couple of days. I’ll see something that I want, but I don’t buy it before thinking about it. If two days later I don’t have the same need for that thing that I wanted so badly, I don’t buy it. This saves me a lot of money. A lot of times, we see something and we’re like, “oh my gosh this is so pretty I have to have it!!!”  *Click* purchased. Then, two days later, we look at those new boots we spent $250 on, and we want to cry.

5. Take as much money as you can from your employer

This doesn’t mean steal from your job that’s bad. However, if your employer offers to match your retirement in any way at all, make sure that you’re getting the maximum matching dollar amount possible. Yes, it means that your paycheck will be a little smaller if you’re putting away more money for retirement. But it’s worth it in the long run. You don’t want to be 65 years old and still working. That would be awful. Furthermore, you are young work every overtime hour you can. You can sleep when you’re retired and I promise there is nothing you’re missing at the local bar, from the words of Rhianna “work, work, work!”

7. Take advantage of apps that save you money

If you’re not using free cash-saving apps, then you’re leaving money on the table. No, I don’t sit down for hours each week clipping coupons and driving around to find more Sunday sale ads. However, I will use aps such as Flipp, and Walmart saving catcher. Flipp puts all the store ads in one place for you, it is easy to find deal that benefit you the most. Then once I have finished shopping at Walmart I will scan my receipt, it only takes three seconds! Some days I may only get .15 cents back but others I may get $12 back. Make time for this, after all most of our money is spent at the local super market.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for creating this blog post. You gave amazing tips to stay balanced and still enjoy life. Being a freshman I am always thinking about how to save money and be in the least amount of debt possible. I really enjoyed your section on using apps that save you money. I will definitely take advantage of this new system. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving money is so hard. These little reminders at how to be more efficient with little amounts of funds are so helpful. I don't use any apps to save money, but now that I know of some I will have to look into it. Another thing that I do to save money is make food in advance and freeze it, so when I want to go out because I don't want to cook anything all I have to do is reheat the food. Thanks for the helpful blog post!

    ReplyDelete