Friday, February 10, 2017

Henderson Genetics Insider


Good Afternoon, I’d like to thank everyone for tuning in as I interview Cody Henderson, founder of Henderson Genetics. Please Cody tell us a little about yourself.

I am a 2013 graduate of The University of Northwestern Ohio where I obtained an associate’s degree in Agricultural Business Management. I am the founder of Henderson Genetics and currently the head sales representative at Barns Unlimited.

Can you tell our listeners what Henderson Genetics is?

Henderson Genetics is a small show pig operation located in Alger, Ohio. We breed and raise competitive show hogs for the local county and state fairs. We currently farrow eight to twelve sows, two times a year. However, I look forward to expanding our operation in the next several years.

What does your job consist of at Henderson Genetics?

My job consists of a little bit of everything from maintaining a sanitary environment for the show stock to ensuring our herd has received their daily nutrition of feed and water. I keep up on our shots and vaccine records as well as continue to search for the next boar stud that will improve our champion genetics.

Wow, you’re certainly a busy person, so how long have you been operating your own business?

My family has been raising hogs since I was little we shied away from it for a few years and about the time I turned 15 I got serious about breeding I have been breeding for about eight years.

Did you have an event or something that really sparked your interest in the livestock industry?

At a young age I started showing as I got older I had a neighbor who was patient enough to work with me and teach me everything he had learned though out his many years of breeding. Jerry really did bestow a lot of his knowledge in me. Ever since then I have had a growing passion to raise competitive show hogs.

As a former pig showman I know leaving the local county and state fair is not only important to the showman but also to the breeder. Tell us a little bit about the success Henderson Genetics has had over the past couple years.

In 2011 I personally bred, raised and exhibited the reserve champion barrow at the Hardin County fair. Then in 2013 things really took off for me, we brought home grand champion gilt, barrow, born and raised along with grand champion carcass. Following that in 2014 we obtained reserve champion born and raised at our local county fair. In 2016 we breed the grand champion Berkshire at the Allen county fair, grand champion gilt, barrow and carcass at the Hardin county fair along with reserve champion barrow. We sold a gilt down in Nebraska and she took grand champion breeding gilt in their fair.

You certainly have made a name for yourself at the local county fair! What is it like to be able to raise consistently competitive pigs? How does it feel to win a county fair?

You would think the excitement wears off, but I am just as nervous watching each final drive. It’s exciting no doubt to finally see the end result of a project you have been working with for several months. Watching the final drive, you watch the judge walk around and go back and forth over the pigs when he pulls out the microphone and starts talking about the champion that are usually very decisive. He or she may look at one pig while they talk about the champion but then shake a different exhibitors hand to select the champion. There really is no better feeling.

As you mentioned previously in our interview you would like to expand your operation, have you put in plans into place to do this?

I have Darci, a big part of raising good quality show pigs all starts at your sow operations, maintaining a high level of replacement sows is something we will continue. We currently breed a large amount of crossbred hogs. I would like to raise a couple pure bred litters such as, Berkshires, Yorkshires, and Chester Whites. In the future we look forward to operating our own boar stud facility, this is that main goal at Henderson Genetics right now. Also, like any breeder I would like to reach out and be able to take our show stock to other county and state fairs. We have the quality pigs everyone wants just getting our name out there to reach a larger audience is something we are working on.

Well we are running out of time Cody I would like to thank you for giving us a little insight into the Henderson Genetics operation, I have enjoyed having you.

Thank you Darci for the chance to share my passion with your listeners.

That’s all we have for now folks, tune in next time for another insight interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment